Do you want to hang a large painting without damaging walls and without calling labor or a handyman? You can now hang large paintings weighing 2 Kg and more without damaging your walls. And you can do it all by yourself, without calling labor for extra help. In this blog we will guide you through the step-by-step procedure of hanging a large picture frame without using a drill and damaging the wall. You can watch the entire installation on our video. The painting used in the video measures 80 cm X 80 cm (2.6 feet Xx 2.6 feet) and weighs 2 Kg.
Materials Required to perfectly hang a large painting
- 4 pcs of KLAPiT – You can buy these at Amazon or noon in UAE and at Amazon, Flipkart or Snapdeal in India.
- A Pencil and an eraser to mark the places where you will hang the painting and install KLAPiT
- Measuring tape
- Leveler to check if the painting is straight
STEP 1 Decide where to place your picture frame
- Select a few options on the wall where the painting can be fixed.
- Hold the painting against the wall. It is worth spending some time on this. You should consider the placement of furnishings in the room, lighting, color match and visibility from different parts of the room.
- If you have a friend or a family member around, ask them to watch it from a distance while you hold the painting. They can guide you about the symmetry of the painting against the structure of the wall and placement of other objects such as other pictures, shelves, curtains, furniture etc.
- Hold the picture against the wall in the desired place and make small marks on the wall using a pencil at the four corners of the painting. Then go back and visualize the painting there to estimate the symmetry against the wall and other objects.
You can erase the pencil marks after or immediately before you fix each of the Alpha steel tapes.
STEP 2 Open the 2 packs of KLAPiT
- Tear open each of the 2pc-Packs of KLAPiT
- In each pack you will find 2 pairs of KLAPiT. Each Pair contains
- 1 Alpha Steel Tape (White Steel tape with an adhesive covered by a liner on one side)
- 1 Beta Steel Tape (Same as Alpha Steel Tape) and;
- A NED Magnet
- Therefore, from the 2 packs of KLAPiT you will get
- Alpha steel tapes – 4 pcs
- Beta steel tapes – 4 pcs
- Super strong NED magnet – 4 pcs
STEP 3 Install Beta steel tapes on the frame
1. Mark the frame of the picture
- Turn the picture and identify the strong and the hard surface where you can install the Beta steel tape. This will generally be the frame of the picture.
- Check on the corner of the painting, if there are any pins or holes.
- Find a 1 sq inch space on the each of the corners of the painting which does not have any pin or a hole.
- Measure its distance from the edge of the frame and record it for its later use while fixing the Alpha steel Tape.
- You can use nomenclature such as “TL” for Top Left corner of the painting and “”TR” for Top Right Corner of the painting and so on. You can also use numbers such as 1 for Top Left and 2,3 and 4 for top right, bottom left and bottom right respectively.
2. Mark the frame of the picture
- Place the Picture frame on a hard surface with its back facing you.
- Remove the liner from the first Beta Steel Tape and place it on the frame so that the left of the Beta Steel Tape touches the “TL” mark on top-left corner edge of the frame.
- Remove the liner from the second Beta Steel Tape and place it on the frame so that the left of the Beta Steel Tape touches the “TR” mark on the top right edge of the frame.
- Press both the steel tapes firmly against the frame. The greater the pressure, the stronger will be the bond between the frame and the steel tapes.
- Now your 2 beta steel tapes are installed at the top edge of the frame.
- Use the similar steps install two beta steel tapes on the bottom of the frame at the places marked “BL” and “BR”.
Leave the painting for at least 30 minutes before hanging, for the adhesive bond to strengthen.
STEP 4 Install Alpha steel tapes on the wall
- Measure the distance of the Beta steel tape fixed at the point “TL” from the left edge of the painting.
- On the wall, measure an equivalent distance from the top left painting mark created in step 1.
- Remove the liner of the Alpha steel tape and attach it to the wall so that the left edge of Alpha steel tape touches the “TL” mark.
- Remember that the distance of Alpha steel tape from the left and the top edges (on the wall) must be the same as you have it from the respective edges on the frame.
- Use the same procedure to install the other 3 Alpha steel tapes at the points “TR”, “BL” and “BR”
- Press each of these steel tapes using your palm so these are firmly installed on the wall. The harder you press; the stronger will be the bond between the steel tape and the wall.
- Leave the Alpha steel tapes on the wall for at least 30 minutes for the adhesive to strengthen.
In order to perfectly hang a large painting, the center of the Alpha steel tape on the wall should exactly align to the center of the Beta steel tape on the wall. However, even with a slight deviance from this perfect alignment, the NED magnet will be able to hold your painting firmly against the wall. This feature of KLAPiT distinguishes it from other solutions such as Velcro Tapes in which the two strips have to be perfectly aligned every time when you hang your product.
STEP 5 Hang the large Painting on the wall
- Attach the 4 NED Magnets to each of the Beta steel tapes on the painting.
- Pick the painting and attach it to the wall so that each Ned magnet is between corresponding Alpha and Beta steel tapes.
You can adjust the painting by slightly moving it in any of the four directions parallel to the wall- Up, down, left or right without pulling.
Removing the painting
The painting is held against the wall using a strong magnetic force and a very strong VHB adhesive. To remove the painting, slide it down, up or on either of the two sides. Remember not to pull the painting or else it may damage either the surface of the wall or that of the painting.
After you remove your painting, you can use NED Magnet with another product in the same place. You can also attach the NED Magnet to the product and hang it on another wall which has an Alpha Steel Tape.
How to hang even a larger painting of more than 2 Kg without drilling or damaging the walls?
In order to hang frames which are heavier than 2Kg, add four Beta steel tapes to the four corners of the frame. Then, add 2 beta steel tapes for every 1 Kg of weight on the edges of the frame. For example, if the picture frame weighs between 2Kg and 3Kg, you should install the two additional beta steel tapes – one at the center of the top edge and the other at the center of the bottom edge. And for frames weighing between 3Kg and 4Kg, the 7th and the 8th steel tapes will be installed at the center of each of the side edges and so on.
Caution: Please install Steel tapes only on the flat and hard surfaces on the product and the wall. If there are any pins, paper or existing screws on the product, please remove them before installing the steel tapes. Also, please do not install the steel tapes on the existing holes. The steel tape needs strong surface to bond with. For further details please refer to our blog on common errors while installing KLAPiT.