KLAPiT is a unique innovative product designed to hang pictures, paintings, wall clocks on the walls. You can also hang speakers, power extension cords, remote controls, pen holders, kitchen accessories and many other objects . We researched on various means to hang products on the wall. During our research wee connected with various consumers and took their feedback about the existing drill free solutions. After developing KLAPiT, we tested its usage with consumers and took their feedback. We also understood various errors that they can make unknowingly, while adopting the innovative mechanism of KLAPiT. Most users were either using drills and screws or nail and hammer for hanging products on their walls. Therefore, certain procedures such as cleaning the surface before installation and “wait before hanging” were missed while using KLAPiT. These procedures are particular to adhesive tapes are relatively new and therefore, often forgotten while hanging. We believe that making these errors is normal as you adapt to a new procedure of hanging with KLAPiT. In this blog we have compiled some of our learnings about the common errors and issues while using KLAPiT. We also include suggestions to either manage or avoid these issues. We have used the experience of KLAPiT users in many countries to develop this list. We believe this will give a good learning to KLAPiT users. We believe that using the procedures mentioned n the blog, you will have a convenient and damage free experience in making your homes beautiful.
Development of KLAPiT
While working on the concept of KLAPiT we found that home makers don’t like screws and nails. Screws and nails require specialized labor, damage walls and sometime even the electrical and water fittings inside the walls. They also generate dust, often crack tiles and cannot be used on certain surfaces like Glass, Particle Board walls and acrylic. Based on consumer feedback we developed the brief for KLAPiT that had to meet the following requirements:
- KLAPiT should be small in size, so it can be used for many products
- The appearance of the KLAPiT should be aesthetically acceptable on the wall even when the product is not suspended on it.
- It should be simple so people of all age groups should be able to use it.
- Users should be able to remove their products from the wall and reinstall them. This will give them the flexibility to change the look of the wall, anytime.
- It should be environmentally friendly and reusable for long time.
- The adhesive should be easy to remove from the surface and should not leave any stains after removal.
KLAPiT has been designed to meet all of these requirements. In order to keep its size small, we use 3M VHB adhesive which considered to be one of the world’s strongest. This VHB adhesive tape is generally used in many industrial environments and can sustain adhesion in extreme temperature conditions. Also, the VHB adhesive used in KLAPiT is different from the usual foam based adhesives due to which it never leaves a stain after removal. The magnet used is of the strongest permanent magnet class of neodymium magnets.
In order to easily track and fix the common errors and issue, we have classified them into 3 categories:
- Category 1: Surface related issues
- Category 2: Installation related issues
- Category 3: Post installation precautions
Category 1: Surface related issues
When you attach an Alpha or the Beta steel tape to the wall or the product, it detaches even with very little pull. You might have experienced this while using some of the other adhesive hooks too. The hooks, in such cases are not able to bear even half the weight that is claimed by the hook manufacturer. If you face a problem of this kind while installing the steel tapes, there may be some issue with the surface that you are fixing the steel tape to. Listed below are a few issues and their solutions which we believe will solve your challenges in drill free hanging.
Issue #1 - Dusty surface
Do you wonder that in spite of using a strong double sided tape, why does the painting falls? During our research we found that most of the times this is because of the dirty surface. Often the walls and the surfaces though appear to be clean but have micro dust particles sticking on them. This is especially true for light colored surfaces. Due to moisture these dust particles are loosely stuck on the surface.
When we install the KLAPiT steel tapes, the adhesive partially sticks to these loosely bonded dust particles. Therefore, temporarily the steel tape remains on the wall as it is partially bonded with the hard surface of the wall. The rest of the steel tape is only attached to the dust particles. Therefore, with a little pressure the partially bonded adhesive will leave the surface of the wall or of the product. The result is that with a little pull, the steel tape will detach from the wall. The lesser is the bond of the adhesive with the wall or the product, the weaker will be the strength of the adhesive.
The best solution is to clean the surface of the wall and of the product with an alcohol based cleaner before applying the steel tape on the wall and on the product. After cleaning the surface, wait for @ 30 minutes for the moisture to dry before you install the steel tape. The alcohol based surface cleaners evaporate fast without leaving much moisture. Please do not use water or soap based cleaners to clean the surface. Such cleaners leave moisture which takes a long time to dry and make the surface ready for adhesion.
Issue #2 - Wet or Moist Surface
If you are living in a coastal area, hills or some other place with high humidity, you may have moisture particles sticking to your walls. This may not be visible on the wall. Sometimes you can notice high moisture if you swipe the wall using a dry tissue paper. The tissue will get slightly wet.
When we install the KLAPiT steel tapes, the adhesive partially sticks to these loosely bonded moisture particles.
Therefore, temporarily the steel tape remains on the wall as it is partially bonded with the hard surface of the wall. The rest of the steel tape is only attached to the moisture particles. Therefore, with a little pressure the partially bonded adhesive will leave the surface of the wall or of the product. The result is that with a little pull, the steel tape will detach from the wall. The lesser is the bond of the adhesive with the wall or the product, the weaker will be the strength of the adhesive.
In case you observe or suspect that there can be moisture on the wall, you should treat the moisture first. To do this
- Wipe the surface with a dry tissue paper.
- Use a hair drier to blow some hot air on the surface of the wall and then wait for sometime till the water particles evaporate.
After treating the wall to eliminate moisture, you can then clean the surface of the wall and of the product with an alcohol based cleaner before applying the steel tape on the wall and on the product. The alcohol based surface cleaners evaporate fast without leaving much moisture. After cleaning the surface, wait for @ 30 minutes for the moisture to dry before you install the steel tape. Please do not use water or soap based cleaners to clean the surface. Such cleaners leave moisture which takes a long time to dry. Therefore, it may take more time for the surface to be ready for adhesion.
Issue #3 - Uneven surface
Many textured paints produce 3D effects on the walls. While they look beautiful, they create an uneven surface for the application of steel tapes. Likewise, some art objects, especially made of hard wood, have inherent unevenness in their surfaces. Certain textured plastic surfaces also have unevenness in their surface.
When we install KLAPiT steel tapes on an uneven surface, the adhesive sticks only partially to the surface. The strength of adhesion in such cases is as strong as the area of the wall or the product that is in contact with the adhesive.
You can do two things to resolve this issue
- Find an area of over 1 sq. inch on the surface which is perfectly flat. Since the size of KLAPT’s steel tapes is only 1 sq. inch, it will get 100% area on the wall or the product surface where it can be installed.
- Alternatively, use sand paper or a scraper to scrape 1 sq inch area of the product or of the wall where you want to install the steel tape. After you finish scraping the surface, wipe the scraped area with a dry tissue to remove excess dust. Thereafter, clean the surface using an alcohol based surface cleaner to remove all the dust particles from the surface before you install the steel tape.
Issue #4 - Product has a surface area of less than 1 inch
Some times the width of the frame is slightly less than 1 sq inch
In such cases the strength of the Beta steel tape will reduce significantly and the tape may detach when the product is hung. In such cases we suggest two options. Thus, depending on the width of the frame and your convenience, you can decide which of these options you want to use for damage free hanging.
Solution #1 : If it is a light painting, s.a. canvas on a frame, you should use two KLAPiTs in place of one. While doing so, please attach the Beta in such a manner that the entire frame width is exactly in the middle of the Beta steel tape. The adhesion strength of the steel tape in the KLAPiT assembly is the strongest in the middle of the tape. Follow rest of the frame installation process, normally.
Solution #2 : Attach an additional piece of board, MDF or wood to the inside of the frame so that the width of the frame is enhanced to 1 inch. You can attach the piece of wood to the frame using super glue or a strong double sided tape. You can then follow the rest of the frame installation process, normally.
Issue #5 - Weak Surface such as paper and plastic films
Certain surfaces such as paper have high propensity to tear. This means if a large force is applied on such surfaces, the surface itself will tear or break. It is advised not to use any adhesive hooks including KLAPiT on such surface. While the steel tape will stick well to the surface, the challenge will be that the surface itself will not be able to bear such weight and can break causing damage to the surface.
We suggest that in such cases you measure the exact 1 sq. inch space where you want to install the beta tape. Thereafter, using a sharp object such as a paper cutter, you should tear the exact 1 sq inch paper or the plastic film from the surface. Once you see the strong surface below the paper, you can follow the normal frame installation procedure to install your product using KLAPiT. In this manner you will avoid fixing the steel tape on the paper. The steel tape will completely cover the torn area making no difference to the aesthetics of the wall or of the product, where it is applied.
Issue #6 - Elastic surfaces
The walls and the product surfaces are usually made of hard materials. However, some times these surfaces are attached to strong frames leaving the middle of the surface with high elasticity (similar to a trampoline). Therefore, when you try to press the surface hard, the surface moves back leaving air between the steel tape and the product/wall surface. As a result the bond between the steel tape and the product is weak. This can lead the product to detach from the steel tape after some time.
If such a surface is detachable from its frame, please remove the surface and place it on a hard platform such as a table or floor. Thereafter, install the steel tape on the surface using the normal installation guidelines.
In cases where the surface can not be detached, you need to provide an additional support behind the surface. This can be done by one of your friends pushing the surface from behind at the point and the time when you are installing the steel tape on the surface. If none of these can be done, then we advice not to use KLAPiT on such a surface because without a firm pressure between the steel tape and the surface, the adhesion will be weak.
Issue #7 - Surface with nails, staple pins etc.
The surface of the product often has things such as a nails or a stable pins projecting from it. These must be removed from the surface before installing the steel tape. Else, the elevation caused due to these projected objects will restrict the steel tape to firmly attach to the surface of the product. Remember that you need a hard flat surface to optimally install a steel tape.
Issue #8 - Holes on the surface
- Sometimes we have small holes on the wall due to the previous screw installation. Do not try to cover the hole with the Alpha steel tape. The presence of the hole below the steel tape reduces the area of the adhesion between the wall and the steel tape. Also, the surface on the edges of the hole is usually weak and releases dust. This further reduces the area of adhesion and therefore causes the steel tape to detach from the wall. You need to install the steel tape either below or above the hole using the normal installation process.
- A number of products have a hole behind them for hanging the product on the screw or a nail. The hole is strategically placed right in the middle of the top area. Please install the steel tape either above or below the hole and certainly not on the hole. If there is no option to install a steel tape either above or below the hole, then you need to install two steel tapes on either of the two sides of the hole (and corresponding steel tapes on the wall) to maintain the symmetry and therefore, balance the product.
Category 2: Installation related errors and issues
In KLAPiT we use the top quality 3M VHB adhesive on each steel tape. This enables you to use a small quantity of adhesive to carry a much larger weight (1 sq inch of steel tape can carry up to 500 g). It is important that the entire 1 sq inch of the tape is firmly attached to the surface. Therefore, you should press the steel tape hard enough, using both the thumbs and also using your palm. Press the steel tape several times to ensure that it is firmly installed. This has to be done during both the installations – on the wall and on the product. The flat surface of the steel tapes makes it relatively easy as compared to a hook. The process of pressing hard may seem cumbersome, but the effort is significantly lesser compared to drilling holes and fixing screws in the wall.
Wait for at least 60 minutes after application and before hanging
Adhesives usually take some time to bond with the surface they are applied on. You would have experienced that with various other forms of adhesives such as liquid adhesives and other double sided tapes. It is recommended that for best results you should wait for 72 hours after applying the steel tape, before your hang your product. However, during our tests we found that waiting for around 60 minutes is sufficient for hanging weights of up to 500 gm using KLAPiT.
Tendency to pull during installation
While hanging a product on the wall using a traditional screw, we normally test its firm suspension by pulling the product. You may be tempted to exercise while using KLAPiT as well. Please do not pull the product. You can keep your hands under the product if you do not feel confident that the product is correctly installed. If the product is not installed properly, it will slide into your hands.
Precautions while using Multiple KLAPiTs
- If a product is long or wide, although it may still be less than 500 g, you should still install two KLAPiTs. These two KLAPiTs should preferably be used at the center of the top edge and at the center of the bottom edge, respectively. This will avoid the force on one steel tape to peel off*
- It is important to correctly mark the places on the product and on the wall. Variance in the position of Alpha and the Beta steel tapes can significantly impact the proper installation of the product.
While using a single KLAPiT check if the product is suspended on the wall in a slanting position. Slanting of the product will develop a continuous peel off force on the steel tape. This may cause the steel tape to completely detach from the surface. If you find the product is slanted, please use another KLAPiT at the bottom edge of the product so it is held straight. Slanting can also be observed if for some reason you are using two KLAPiTs, one on each side edge. If the steel tape is not installed exactly on the center of each of the edges, the product may still be in slanted posture. You need to attach an additional KLAPiT in the middle of the bottom edge so that the product is held straight against the wall.
*Note: All adhesive tapes are removed using a peel off action. The force required to peel off an adhesive tape is much smaller compared to the force required for the direct pull. The peel-off function is an extremely important characteristic of an adhesive for a smooth removal.
Category 3: Post installation precautions
The precautions are especially related to products such as remote controls, power extension cords, tissue rolls, shelves, Bluetooth speakers, etc. These products are removed and reinstalled more often compared to paintings and picture frames. However, you should take the same precautions with all the products hung using KLAPiT.
- Always slide the product to detach it from the wall. Never pull.
- In case of a power cord, understand that the force due to hanging wires may be much larger compared to the weight of the power extension cord, especially if it is installed at a height. It will be better to install the power extension cord close to the ground or the table, so that the hanging wire should not pull it down. Also add an additional KLAPiT to strengthen the bonding of the steel tape.
- In case of shelves, the weight you keep on the shelf may vary over time. Therefore it is better to add one or two additional KLAPiTs (than what is recommended) to accommodate such variances.
- Account for sudden force on the product. While installing products such as shelves, Tissue holders, pen holders, knife and spoon holders etc, please take into account occasional sudden push or pull force. Therefore, it is advisable to always add one or two extra KLAPiTs to suspend such products, compared to your regular estimate.
We believe this list is exhaustive for KLAPiT users. We believe once you start using KLAPiT these practices will form a part of your habit and you may never have to refer to this list again. However, we continuously seek to learn from our customers and develop solutions that make their life comfortable and their homes beautiful. If you have any experiences with KLAPiT that you want to share, then do write to us at email@example.com.